Today we hear WSI Internet Consultant Jukka Jumisko's story about how he tried to get into business ownership after corporate life. It took him a year to get started, but that didn't stop him winning the Fastest Growing WSI Franchise Award!
Tell me a little about yourself, and where you are located?
I’m former executive of a couple of big international corporations, Exxon Mobile and Polar Electro Inc, originally from Finland but now live in Albuquerque, New Mexico (which is part of USA).
Why did you want to become an Internet consultant and join WSI?
I always wanted to have my own business. After leaving corporate world, I looked around and even made offers for a couple of existing businesses including an elderly care business, printing business and a wedding photography business. They did not work out and I decided to start from scratch with WSI.
What’s the biggest value that you get from WSI?
WSI as a franchise is really good. Without a franchise, I would be like any “Basement Bob” running a business without the latest knowledge on what is going on in the industry. With the franchise and the WSI community behind me, I know how to do things right for my clients. I actually say in my marketing tagline that “WSI brings the best global internet marketing practices to New Mexico”.
What job/business were you in before you started your WSI business?
I was and executive in two significant international Businesses, Exxon-Mobil and Polar Electro. In Finland, I ran Exxon-Mobil’s information technology and then moved to Polar Electro as a VP of Information Technology. Later I became their CFO in NewYork.
Tell us about anyone who helped influence you into starting your own business?
I did this mostly on myself. I did not know business owners in New Mexico or anyone in WSI.
How long have you been with WSI?
Describe your typical work week?
- Every business day starts with a 6am Skype call to offshore production centers.
- From there on during the week, I have at the minimum 5 sales meetings or networking events, usually 10 or more.
- I include exercise to almost every day, either running, hiking or a visit to a gym.
- I’m usually done by five and spend evenings with family and friends.
What highlights have you had since being with WSI?
- I helped a 60 year old reiki healer lady with $600 dollar budget to build a website and rank #1 in Google.
- I built a website for a international corporation for over $400,000.
- I built an app for a rocket science company to calculate satellite temperatures in orbit.
- I got rewarded as the fastest growing WSI franchise in the world.
- I ranked #11 a month ago among all WSI franchises.
What are the biggest obstacles that you have faced in running your business and how have you overcome them?
- Finding the first clients, it took about a year before the business started to pay for my bills.
- Lots of networking and public speaking have been my tools to build my client base.
What do you think are the best skills that you bring to your business?
- You need good people skills to convince people to work with you.
- Honesty and integrity.
What goals do you have for yourself that you want to accomplish in the next year?
- I’m going to watch Chicago Bulls basketball game live.
- I’m going to read more than 30 books.
- I’m going to spend only 20 hours a week doing business.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
My Business running itself with minimal input from me allowing me to do other things like photography.
What advice would you give a new WSI Internet Consultant
Find a mentor from the more experienced IC's.
What would be your personal motto?
“The One Thing”. What is a thing one thing that your should focus on right now. A thing that would make everything else easier or unnecessary.
If we went to happy hour, what would you order?
A glass of wine and a vegan snack.
If you could be anywhere other than here talking to me right this minute, where would you be?
On a photography safari in South Africa!